WorldComposer is an Unity3d tool to extract data from the real World. It can run by itself or as an extension for TerrainComposer.
At the moment I’m making a runtime demo by collaborating with Tomasz from RTP and Chris from UnityFS. The demo is also made for the Oculus Rift. WorldComposer will be submitted to the Unity Asset Store as soon as the demo is ready. And then will only be available there.
WorldComposer is designed like google maps with a scrolling and zooming functionality from real World satellite imagery directly into Unity. You can create multiple areas that display the real size in kilometers, and they can be exported with a few clicks of a button. Then for each exported area you can create the terrains with a click of one button directly in your Unity Scene. Satellite images can be exported to zoom level 19 which is 0.3 meter per pixel resolution. Elevation data can be exported up to zoom level 14, which is 10 meter per pixel resolution. WorldComposer only exports elevation heightmaps and satellite images, with itself you can create awesome looking real World terrain. But in combination with TerrainComposer you can mix the or alter the heightmaps or add perlin noise to enhance the detail, mix the satellite images with splat textures, add cloud shadows, etc. Also you can place trees,grass and objects and do the unlimited tweak and editing TerrainComposer offers to push the quality to unseen limits!
Here’s the demonstration/tutorial video of the latest WorldComposer version on youtube.
The total video length is 14.39 minutes and really all you need to use WorldComposer and start creating Real World terrains! The quick examples made in the video uses satellite images with zoom 18, each zoom is 2x more detail, so x2 times more detail is possible when zoomed to 19. The screenshots down below use a zoom level of 18 same as from the video. You can also do very large areas with a smaller zoom level, anything is possible.
- Works with Unity Pro and Free, also on Mac.
- Satellite images resolution of max 0.30 meter per pixel. Jpg and png format supported.
- Elevation Heightmaps resolution of max 10 meter per pixel.
- Create terrains directly from exported areas with a click of a button.
- 3 different map types, Aerial, Aerial with labels and roads.
- Global coverage.
- Create unlimited regions and areas and export any heightmap size or amount of image tiles.
- Export multiple areas.
- Image Editor, e.g. to make satellite shadows lighter.
- Heightmap resolution and image resolution can be selected.
- Scroll interface like Google maps.
- Exporting is Multi-Thread.
- Automatic updates inside WorldComposer.